Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 2000 10:57:02 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
Cc:        Blaz Zupan <blaz@amis.net>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Onboard Intel NIC

In message <200003281533.KAA21626@etinc.com> Dennis writes:
: I passed on the info to DG on how to fix it. Work I do belongs to my
: company because they pay me to do it. I know few of you understand that, So
: unless you want to attach the "copyright Emerging Technologies" to the
: driver you cant use it.

You should negotiate a better deal with your company.  The deal I got
here was that work I do on my own time belongs to me.  Further, any
work that I do for the comapny that the company (or at least my boss)
believes will benefit the company by being in the base FreeBSD gets
put into FreeBSD (with the usual approvals, caveats, etc).  There's
lots of code that I work on that will never be in FreeBSD because the
hardware for it is so specialized we have the only instances of it.
So I understand IP issues with one's employer.

Patches are generally small enough that many employers don't care to
claim exclusive rights to them.

Oh well, everybody's employer is different.

Warner