Date:      Mon, 23 Sep 1996 22:25:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Kurt Schafer <kurt@cyberbeach.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   System hung in 'Recovering vi editor sessions'

Because of a problem with the network interface, my machine is going insanely
slow through the 'Recovering vi editor sessions' because the users in question
are normally accessed via NIS from the main NIS server.

I need to be able to drop to a quick command prompt with write privileges
so that I can make the changes needed to /etc/sysconfig to bring up the
network card properly.

Any ideas ?

On a side note, how can I purge all the old vi editor sessions so that I
don't get umpteen mail messages telling me to 'nvi -r blahblah' ??

-Kurt