Date:      01 Jul 2002 11:24:02 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Franz Klammer <klammer@webonaut.com>
Cc:        gnome@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GNOME 2.0 Final Update

On Mon, 2002-07-01 at 03:30, Franz Klammer wrote:
> Am Mo, 2002-07-01 um 07.03 schrieb Joe Marcus Clarke:

> > > I've still my two major and some new minor problems:
> > >
> > > 1) quanta kill my panel(s) when i quit it.
> > >    if i start and quit quanta several times it kills any
> > >    gnome application currently running. (reported at bugzilla)
> >
> > What is quanta?
>
> /usr/ports/www/quanta = KDE2-program = my favorite HTML-Editor
> (yes i know there is also glimmer)

There's also screem ;-).

> > > to 1)
> > > The Panel-Quanta-Problem i've reported at bugzilla.gnome.org.
> > > They want now from me a "stack trace when the crash/exit occurs"
> > > Can anyone on this list tell me unknowing in very easy words how
> > > to do that? There is no core dump.
> >
> > Well, you can compile quanta with the -g option, then make sure you
> > don't strip the resulting binary.  Then, if you run it from gdb, it
> > should catch the fatal signal, and drop you to the debugger.  From
> > there, just execute a "bt" command to get the back trace.
> >

> thanks!
> but i think i must compile gnome-panel with -g option
> then remove it with the session-manager and start
> it from a termnal with gdb, or?

What I would do is add the following line to quanta's Makefile:

STRIP=

Then build it using:

env CFLAGS="-O -g -pipe" install

Then run it froma terminal like:

gdb /path/to/quanta

Then, type "run" from the gdb prompt, and when it crashes, you should
return to the gdb prompt so you can get a back trace.

Joe