Date:      Fri, 23 May 2003 10:00:03 -0400
From:      Jesse Sheidlower <jester@panix.com>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CD-RW problems on ThinkPad X23

On Thu, May 22, 2003 at 04:25:23PM -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:

> > From: Jesse Sheidlower <jester@panix.com>

[...]

> > Now that I've done so, I find that I can't really do much. If I try
> > to put in an audio CD, with the GUI CD Player app, I get the message,
> > "Error accessing cdrom device. Please check to make sure cdrom drive
> > support is compiled into the kernel, and that you have permission to
> > access the device. Reason: no such file or directory." Using
> > cdcontrol on the command line, I get:

[...]

> > Any suggestions for where I should start to poke? I haven't found
> > anything too helpful online.
>
> The most obvious is permissions. Are you doing this as root or as a user?
> If you ae running as root, do "ls -l /dev/acd*". What are the major and
> minor modes? acd0a and acd0c should both should be 117 0. If they ae not,
> delete them and "cd /dev;MAKEDEV acd0"

I had been running as root to avoid any permissions problems. In any
case, acd0a was 117 0, and acd0c was 117 2; this persisted even after
I remade them.

However, it occurred to me that I should then try using acd0a instead of
the default acd0c, and it worked perfectly. A few minutes of playing around
and I had permissions properly set up, the defaults in TCD set, and a
CD-R merrily burning away.

Thanks very much.

Jesse Sheidlower