Date:      Wed, 11 Mar 1998 08:38:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      Chris Timmons <skynyrd@opus.cts.cwu.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   panic at getnewbuf+0x21f, new mount behavior

I still haven't figured out what's going on, but I get reliable panics
during CVSup and other high volume disk activity in this environment:

	-stable as of 0445 pst today, full build/installworld
	genuine intel p5
	NO_F00F_HACK
	CLK_USE_I586_CALIBRATION

	aha-3940
	de-500 100/mb ether

	/home with CVS repository on 2 disk ccd which is
	NFS exported to a -current machine that has it mounted

As soon as I start CVSup updating the CVS repository on the ccd, bang,
into ddb at getnewbuf+0x21f.  I am slowly narrowing down my kernel
configuration and looking at the source tree during the time when the
problem appeared (between 2/27-1200 and 2/28-000 utc, and the diffs are
very innocent looking.)

However, as of the mount/slice changes, I have another problem.  When the
system goes down hard and comes up, fsck's, it refuses to mount / R/W -
claiming it is _still_dirty.  Ok, I run fsck again, but it still refuses
and so I have to reboot again to finally mount /.  Somehow the fact that
the file system has been cleaned is not noticed and each successive
attempt to 'mount /dev/sd0a /' or 'mount /dev/sd0s2a /' fails.

I'm alternating running kernels from about 2/27-1200 which don't panic
given the same config, so maybe there is some sort of mismatch with the
new mount stuff when I come up after a crash booting /kernel.good.  Those
kernels like /dev/sd0a rather than /dev/sd0s2a for /, so I had to back out
the recommended change that mount told me about as I booted the latest
kernel.

-Chris