Date:      Thu, 23 Nov 2000 07:27:51 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@flugsvamp.com>
Cc:        marcel@cup.hp.com, emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "Bogon" Discovered in linux.ko syscall-mapping

> >You're probably right. We can't map Linux' reboot to FreeBSDs as is.
>
> Yeah.  I have a simplistic linux wrapper for the reboot call somewhere,
> I should dig it up and commit it.

The real problem, actually, is not this at all.

The problem is that we assume that an unbranded static ELF binary is a
FreeBSD binary (this is wrong), and attempt to execute it as such.

Most linux binaries make syscall 55 (fcntl) pretty early on (I think it
may even be in the glibc startup).  Unfortunately, 55 is reboot in the
BSD syscall table.  If you're running the Linux binary as root, you die.

The correct fix is to not execute unbranded ELF binaries as FreeBSD
binaries.  FreeBSD binaries are always branded, so this is not a problem.