Date:      Mon, 9 Nov 1998 23:54:46 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>, Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>, Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>, rivers@dignus.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: linux software installation and uname

On Mon, 9 Nov 1998, Nate Williams wrote:

> > > Ahh, but what happens when I have to run the same applications in the
> > > same shell?  Do I have to modify my environment everytime I run a
> > > different application?  Do I have to remember which 'emulated OS' the
> > > application runs?
> >
> > That's where the proposed "commercial ports" category would come in. Someone
> > could provide wrappers for installation, executing, etc, which handle all the
> > messy work of setting environment variables and so forth to get the thing to
> > run, for things which require a 'tweaked' emulation environment.
>
> Is there an echo in the room?  Isn't this what I initially proposed as a
> better alternative to hacking up the uname(1) sources?

Nate, it *seems* that what I'm hearing from him is that he wants to hack
uname so that it would respond to the environmental variables that you
want him to write wrappers for.  I think you're right, you want
wrappers, but the uname thing is something that most commercial wrappers
rely on.  He just wants uname to listen to some environmental variables.

If there's some other way to do it, I haven't seen it yet ... am I
wrong?

> Nate

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).