Date:      Sun, 21 Dec 1997 20:10:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      Burton Sampley <bsampley@best.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: teTeX, latex, Lyx Books

> As may be evident, I don't like TeX.  It's not for want of trying; I
> used it exclusively for several years.  Troff was like a breath of
> fresh air.  Don't take this as a criticism of lyx; I haven't tried
> lyx, and if it hides the obscenities of TeX well, it could be quite
> useful.

Greg,

Lyx mostly hides the obscenities of TeX.  It's an almost WYSIWYG gui for
TeX without having to know TeX.  I believe the documentation states that
Lyx makes the computer do the nasty work of formating and manipulating the
final output of the printed document to allow the author to concentrate
on writing.  Unfortunately it is still under development, but I'm really
looking forward to the day when it settles down and becomes a robust
product.  It doesn't seem to have the bloat that other text-processing
gui's have.  I really think you should try it.

- burton -