Date:        Sat, 02 Sep 2000 14:20:01 +0200
From:      Johannes Zwart <johannes@jak.nl>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Why not XEmacs, after all?

Mike Meyer wrote:

> Johannes Zwart writes:
> > Like?
>
> You don't get the freebsd security warnings, do you? The last three
> times I've upgraded netscape have been due to security bugs that
> allowed malicious servers to access files on my disk.

I am subscribed to the security warnings. However, I am not able to run
any version of FreeBSD on my computer (sad story), because I need Windows
95 for my work & school. Which leaves me no space for alternatives.
So any warnings that would have impact on me if I had the FreeBSD versions
of the programs I run, tend to get put in the grey corners of my memory.
By the way, I recall only two warnings on Netscape lately.

> There are also regular discussions about which of the many versions of
> netscape in the ports tree crash the least often. I personally don't
> run into that, but I don't run Netscape as my main browser (see
> below).

Under Win95 and NT, Netscape has always ran fine as far as I've
experienced, and never crashed.

> The most annoying bug that I know still exists is that it doesn't
> implement the "ignore author colors" setting properly, so if you use
> it you risk getting the author text color on your background color -
> which could well be unreadable (as opposed to getting the authors text
> color on the authors background color - which could well be
> unreadable).
>
> I haven't been building general purpose web apps recently, so I'm out
> of touch with what the current bug set is. Historically it's ranged
> from improper HTML parsing to not handling redirects as per spec. I'd
> be surprised if the current version were any better. Hearsay from
> inside Netscape indicates that Mozilla will be *much* better about
> that. If true, I'd blame it on them having lost the "embrace and
> extend" war to MicroSoft.

Well, I'm anxious. I'll check out the Mozilla home page.