Date:      Wed, 5 Aug 1998 18:17:15 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        meyerd1@fang.cs.sunyit.edu, phk@critter.freebsd.dk
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: page faults and swapping

>	The problem could be reproduced, but I was able to isolate a bad
>simm and that took care of my problems.  Unfortunately I had memory hole
>enabled in the bios and this made it much more difficult to isolate the
>problem.  The kernel's memory probe would only pick up the first 16384K.
>The MAXMEM option had to be enabled for anything more than 16384K.

If there's any device memory in the hole, then you shouldn't be happy to
let the probe look at any memory in the hole or above.  The probe may
be confused by device memory (it may think it is normal RAM), and the
probe doesn't understand any holes except the ISA one at 640K-1M, so
there is no way to probe memory above the hole without risking confusion.

The BIOS may have protected against such problems by reporting the
extended memory size as the amount below the hole.  Setting MAXMEM
may defeat this protection.  Holes above 64MB would cause similar
problems even if MAXMEM is not set.

Bruce