Date:      Fri, 23 May 2003 02:57:02 -0400
From:      Andrew J Caines <A.J.Caines@halplant.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: issue with ports

Jason,

> my ports database seems to have become broken.

You can always rebuild the ports and package databases if the need arises, though I doubt this is your problem, eg.

# cd /usr/ports/ ; > INDEX ; > INDEX.db ; make index ; portsdb -Uu
# > /var/db/pkg/pkgdb.db ; pkgdb -u

> I can't do even a make clean in ports

Don't bother. Start with a freshly cvsup'ed ports tree. After you next
update and install new versions, run "portsclean" (with -CD or whatever
suits you) and leave the rest to portupgrade.

> ** Error occured reading /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf:
>         undefined method `+' for nil

Did you copy pkgtools.conf.sample to pkgtools.conf? If so, what changes
did you make to pkgtools.conf [diff them]?

I use a script, update_stable[1], to update my sources and ports. It can
be invoked with an argument just to update the ports (update_stable ports)
and which takes care of all the databases and other stuff. This may be a
useful reference even if you don't run it. I have another, for installing
a newly built world and kernel. You can see my sup and config files for
reference[3].

[1] http://halplant.com:88/software/FreeBSD/scripts/update_stable
[2] http://halplant.com:88/software/FreeBSD/scripts/install_stable
[3] http://halplant.com:88/server/config/

-Andrew-
| -Andrew J. Caines-   Unix Systems Engineer   A.J.Caines@halplant.com  |
| "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary |
|  safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin, 1759 |