Date:      Mon, 1 Dec 2008 11:53:11 +0100
From:      Mel <fbsd.questions@rachie.is-a-geek.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        Harry Veltman <veltman@intergate.com>
Subject:   Re: Which FreeBSD is best for my PC?

On Monday 01 December 2008 11:36:58 Polytropon wrote:

> I can't answer your question regarding "Flash" and encryption;
> sadly, I never saw any need for this.

Even if you get the software to work (which is a project in itself),
performance will be very very bad.
My parents have a similar machine using windows and a flash 8+ that's not just
an advertisement takes about a minute to load after downloading and does 8-10
fps if it's a movie.
We have a few oldies, just installed KDE 3.5 on a:
CPU: VIA Nehemiah (997.17-MHz 686-class CPU)
  Origin = "CentaurHauls"  Id = 0x698  Stepping = 8

That's pretty much as low as I'd go for normal desktop usage. The machine
you're describing, still makes for a good router or LAN resolver with low
traffic webserving. Backup machine if disks are good.
Getting a decent performing desktop on there is as Polytropon said, a project
you'd do for fun, not cause you need a desktop.

--
Mel

    and never get to the software part.