Date:      Thu, 31 Jan 2002 21:25:21 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        Alex Toushek <toushek@canadiangeneral.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DNS Reverse

On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 09:09:58PM -0500, Alex Toushek wrote:
> I have 2 upstream providers, 1 I know I have reverse authority over my IP
> blocks. The other one says I do but I am doubtful. I am runing bind 9 with
> FreeBSD 4.1 on my DNS server. I have a class c from the one upstream with
> the working reverse records and a /27 from the other with out the working
> reverse records. How can I confirm that I am setup correctly. This is
> driving me nuts and I am getting a lot of rejected mail from my hosts
> because it cannot resolve the IP correctly to the domain?

Start at the root servers and look up the first level of your
IN-ADDR.ARPA domain. Using the servers listed as authoritive for that
domain, lookup the next level. Repeat until you do or do not reach
your own DNS server.

An example using my current IP, 199.174.219.195,

  $ dig @a.root-servers.net 199.in-addr.arpa

From the output,

  $ dig @dill.arin.net 174.199.in-addr.arpa

etc. This a way to be _sure_ of what the rest of the world sees as
authorative for your domain.