Date:      Thu, 6 Feb 2003 11:23:21 -0800
From:      Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@dsl-only.net>
To:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to change Telnet Prelogin message?

--82I3+IH0IqGh5yIs

On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 09:27:21AM +0000, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 08:45:12PM -0800, Nathan Kinkade wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 11:17:30PM -0500, Michael wrote:
> > > Hey friends,
> > > I got a BBS up as you may know from my previous post, and i need to a=
llow
> > > telnet access. I want a pre login message telling users to please onl=
y use
> > > telnet for BBS and to use SSH2 for shell access. FreeBSDdiary.org is =
down,
> > > and FreeBSD cheat sheets example has a much older GETTYTAB. Im almost
> > > positive you guys can have me hacking this in moments. Pour some know=
ledge
> > > on me. Thanks.
> >=20
> > motd(5)
>=20
> Close, but motd is definitely post login.  /etc/issue can be used to
> display a message on the console before the login prompt.  All you
> need do is write some content into the file.  This file should work
> using the standard gettytab(5) file under FreeBSD with both getty(8)
> and telnetd(8), although I haven't tried using it with telnet recently
> myself.  You want to look for use of the 'if' or the 'im' properties
> in gettytab(5).
>=20
> The equivalent for sshd(8) is to set the Banner property in
> /etc/ssh/sshd_config, although this only works if you use the SSH2
> protocol.
>=20
> 	Cheers,
>=20
> 	Matthew

I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention to the original posters
question.  I somehow missed the "pre".  In any case, all this has
prompted me to play around with pre-login messages.  Using gettytab I
can alter the pre-login message for telnet sessions by changing the 'im'
capability in gettytab, but for the life of me I can't seem to get
telnetd to recognize the 'if' capability.  The console responds to both,
but telnetd seems to ignore 'if'.  The perms on /etc/issue are 644.  I
don't run inetd, but just for experiment I uncommented telnetd and
launched and inetd for testing.  Can anyone explain why telnetd might
ignore the 'if' capability specified in the 'default' heading of
gettytab?  The telnetd man page clearly states that if 'if' is present
it will override 'im'.

Thanks,
Nathan

--=20
GPG Public Key ID: 0x4250A04C
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 4250A04C
http://63.105.21.156/gpg_nkinkade_4250A04C.asc

--82I3+IH0IqGh5yIs

--82I3+IH0IqGh5yIs--