Date:      Mon, 08 Dec 1997 10:14:51 -0500
From:      Donn Miller <dmm125@bellatlantic.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org

I am presently using a USR sportster 56k, and am not using any modem
initialization strings with this.  I was wondering if it were possible to
tweak a modem initiazation string to get faster performance.

I had been using a 14.4 Wang FAXmodem, and my ISP only supports 33.6k logins.
So I choose speed = 38400.  However,  It seems like the download speed is
faster, but not as fast as it should be (i.e., only 1.5 - 1.8 x what I was
getting at 14.4k).  The output of netstat -w 5 with the new modem says 10000 -
12000 most of the time whereas with 14.4 I was getting 7500 -
9000 bps.  Maybe this is a phone line noise problem or an ISP problem?  Would
a different init string solve this do you think?
I've heard other people complaining about apgrading their modems but the
download speed doesn't increase  proportionaly with the speed of the modem;
 seems like it follows a logarithmic curve instead a linear curve in terms
of improvements.

Also, is it possible to see what speed I'm connected at with ppp -background?
I don't see this in the log files.  Maybe it would be useful to have some
command-line tools to check on connect speed and other parameters even after
ppp is started in the background with ppp -background.

	Donn