Date:      Sun, 30 Jan 2000 11:46:28 +0100 (CET)
From:      volf@oasis.IAEhv.nl
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   ports/16472: postfix upgrade

>Number:         16472
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       postfix upgrade
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:

FreeBSD 3.4 STABLE using the postfix port

I upgraded the postfix port by using a pkg_delete; cvs update; make install
sequence.

By doing it this way, I lost my master postfix configuration file
(/usr/local/etc/postfix/main.cf), because it was deleted by pkg_delete (it
is in the PLIST)

Normally, when a port installs, it installs a copy of the distributed
configiuration file, as "conf.default" ("or conf.sample"). The installation
will then check if there is an existing "conf", and only copy the default
configuration file to "conf", if "conf" does not exist. This way an existing
configuration is preserved and the user can check for new configuration
options by comparing the "conf.default" with "conf".

When the port is deinstalled the "conf.default " is removed (part of the
PLIST) but NOT the "conf" file.

I would like to see the same behaviour in the postfix port, so mail
configurations are not thrown away any longer.

I believe this behaviour is in line with most other ports.

Frank