Date:      Tue, 31 Jan 2006 08:09:16 +1030
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        Michael Nottebrock <lofi@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: KDE 3.5.0 seems much chubbier than 3.4.2

--nextPart1412008.oSxvlfVJ3c

On Tuesday 31 January 2006 01:16, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> > I did recently update to the latest -current (ie new malloc
> > implementation) but the the sluggish behaviour was still present prior =
> > that (although maybe not as bad)
>
> Not to suggest you're imagining things, but someone else just posted on
> freebsd-current@ that other applications show greatly increased memory
> usage as well, so it probably is a -current specific problem after all.

I did have a kernel from before the new malloc and it still seemed quite=20
sluggish. I remember being stuck because a commit to the AGP driver on=20
20/12/05 prevented the nvidia driver building.

Only yesterday did I revert those changes and built a new kernel & installe=
d=20
it.

Unfortunately I don't have any logs or top/ps output from before the new=20
kernel :(

=2D-=20
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum