Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 2000 13:48:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@whistle.com>
To:        Mikel <mikel@ocsny.com>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2u equipment

Mikel writes:
| I'm looking for some 2u equipment:
|
|     motherboard prefereably with dual onboard ethernet (for use with
| fBSD 3.x or 4.x)
|     19" 2u chassis
|
|     Any clues? I've searched the maillist db...but I'd like to know if
| anyone has more current info...
|
|     If I can't find this stuff I'll have to go with 4u equipment as a
| last resort.

I like Arista's 1U www.aristaipc.com systems.  I can get them fully
loaded with:
	SBC
		550Mhz PIII (run cooler, stay away from Celeron heat is
			     an issue in 1U)
		BX chipset
		USB
		2 Serial, 1 Parallel
		ATI Video with 4M ram
		Working temperature monitor via healthd
		Intel "fxp" chip with PXE rom
	13G 3.5 IDE hard drive
	3.5 Floppy
	CDROM
	1 D-Link PCI card with 4 Ethernet ports (Yes 5 total).

All ports are wired out.  Plug them into a KVM and you can run any OS on them.
Saves tons of space.  They also have a Dual P3 board.  SCSI is an option.
I like that they use the SBC since they are designed to be flat.
Netfinity/VA Linux/Dell 1U's have custom motherboards so later upgrade is
difficult.  Generic ATX motherboard are not designed to be flat, however,
most motherboards can fit a 2U case that I've seen.

Happy customer.  We've bought 16 so far with more on order.

Doug A.