Date:      Fri, 10 Jun 2005 13:46:46 -0700
From:      Drew Tomlinson <drew@mykitchentable.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Upgrading MySQL Without Wrecking Bacula

I am a total noob regarding MySQL.  I have version 3.23 installed on my
4.10 system.  The only thing it's been used for and by is Bacula.  I
have never used it directly.

But now I have reason to learn MySQL and feel it would be appropriate to
start with a newer version.  I see there's 4.1 and 5.0.  Even though
it's beta, I'm inclined to just start with 5.0 since my data will not be
super critical and quite small.  Basically I want t make a product
database and display it via web pages.  There are less than 10,000
products.  I also don't see more than 2 or 3 clients accessing it at one
time.  Maybe in an extreme case there might be 10 clients.  Overall,
pretty small.

So what must I do to upgrade from 3.23 to something newer and keep
Bacula happy.  I've read the Bacula web site and it claims to work with
3.23 and higher.  I've browsed the MySQL site and see instructions to
upgrade from 3.23 to 4.0, 4.0 to 4.1, and upgrading to 5.0.  However I'm
sure I don't really need to upgrade in steps?

Any guidance, advice, and/or links to tutorials would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,

Drew

--