Date:      Sat, 26 Aug 1995 14:58:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        davidg@Root.COM, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ical 1.9

>  *    I thought briefly about the xdr changes. I skipped over them out
>  * of concern for it affecting our exsting ports. Do we really need to
>  * bump the library revision? We haven't officially released
>  * libc.so.2.1 yet, so I don't see the need. Everything built with a
>            ^^^
>            2.2, right?  libc.so.2.1 went out with 2.0.5R....

Satoshi is correct here, libc.so.2.1 was shipped with 2.0.5R, I just
double checked the cdrom:

usr/lib/libc.so.2.1

>  * "libc.so.2.1" should be forward compatible.
>
> I'm not sure what your concern here is.  It doesn't matter either way
> for us (the ports team).  We will rebuild the whole ports tree on a
> 2.1-ALPHA (or something close to it) machine before the release
> anyway.  All I know is that we can't ship packages using libc.so.2.1
> if the bindist has libc.so.2.2, or the other way around.

IMHO, we should pull the xdr changes in and bump the branch to libc.so.2.2,
if we make additional libc changes in the main branch (HEAD) we will have
to bump it to 2.3.

> Whatever you decide to do, that's fine for us, as long as we are
> consistent with our own version number policies.  My only request is
> that if you are going to make this change, please do it soon, that
> will make it easier for us (and harder to screw up).

This will mean that 2.0.5R -> 2.1 upgrade is going to be a bit harder,
and require a bit more work.  We did want to retain as much compatibility
with 2.0.5R as possible, but, like usual, that has already been shot
to pieces :-(.