Date:      11 May 1998 01:21:35 -0500
From:      sfarrell@farrell.org
To:        lunarchy@ncfweb.net (Shea F. Kenny)
Cc:        freebsd questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Can't mount drive

lunarchy@ncfweb.net (Shea F. Kenny) writes:

> On 10 May 1998 18:27:39 -0500, sfarrell+lists@farrell.org says:
>
> }lunarchy@ncfweb.net (Shea F. Kenny) writes:
> }
> }> 	I've just  installed Free BSD on my second hard drive.  I used
> }> a clean drive and the whole drive for the system.   The boot takes me
> }> to the point where it mounts the drive, fails to mount the drive and
> }> it re-boots the computer.  What should I do?
> }
> }Perhaps it cannot find your root partition?  Try booting with the
> }appropriate options, e.g.,: 1:wd(2,a)kernel
> }				 ^
>
> 	Thanks, that did the trick.  It boots to BSD now.  The only
> thing now is, I can't do anything, even as root.  I get permission
> denied.  What's that all about?  Do I have to setup what access I have
> as root and as a user?

Not really... methinks you're trying to do something like execute a
directory.  What specifically are you trying to do that gets you
"permission denied"?

> I don't know a thing about Unix or Linux, so I need a lot of help. I
> bought what I thought would be a good book, Using Linux, by QUE.  It
> doesn't have any commands in it, besides ls, from what I can tell.

doesn't sound like that good of a book ;-).

> Can you send me a list or a faq page with a list of commands?  Also,

Hmm... I'm sure that someone has a good canned answer for
this... spend a few hours at http://www.freebsd.org/docs.html...
also try the linux documentation project, much of which is very
unix-generic (http://sunsite.unc.edu/LDP/).

Oh--especially this looks useful:

	http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/newuser/newuser.html

> I did a df command and it only showed /usr and a couple of other
> directories.  It seems I should have more directories or something
> with everything I installed.

df tells you how much space is on your *partitions*, not directories.
a partition happens to get mounted under a particular directory (like
/usr), but it has many of its own subdirs.  You need to use du if you
want more detailed usage information.

> and x-windows at least accessible in the directories

?? what are you asking?

if x windows is configured you can start it with the startx command.
if it's not configured try XF86Setup.  if it's not installed then go
back to /stand and run sysinstall and add it (it is a "distribution"
not a "package").

i just had a few thoughts on this question "permission denied"--a lot
of ppl familiar with DOS try stuff like "cd.." -- that won't work, you
need the space in unix.  it's "cd .."--my dad spent about 45 minutes
on that one ;-).  also, the current working directory, ".", is not in
root's path for security reasons.  if you want to execute something in
the current directory, you need to do ./something.

--

Steve Farrell