Date:      Wed, 25 Jun 2003 09:51:46 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        sturdee@mikesweb.com
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dual-band wifi.

In message: <Pine.BSF.4.40L0.0306241759070.84004-100000@saturn.mikesweb.com>
            Mike Sturdee <sturdee@mikesweb.com> writes:
: I understand that FreeBSD does not yet support 802.11a cards, and that's
: fine.. But can it at least do 802.11b on a dual band 801.11a/b card? Don't
: wanna hafta buy equipment twice.. ;)

I've been using Atheros 5210 and 5211 cards for the last few weeks.
Sam just committed most of the stuff necessary to use them in
current.  I've got something to test for him before everything gets
hooked up, but I'm having hardware issues here :-(.

Most of the a or a/b cards are atheros.  I think that many of the
a/b/g cards are also atheros, but most (all?) of the b or b/g cardbus
cards are not atheros cards.

Note that all the available a/b or a/b/g atheros cards are either/or.
You can only tune them to one band at a time.  Atheros has announced a
dual mode access point built around another of their cards, but as far
as I can tell they've not released this card outside of the ap.

Warner