Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 2006 01:27:58 +0100 (BST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        gnn@freebsd.org
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sosend/soreceive consistency improvements

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006, gnn@freebsd.org wrote:

> At Sun, 23 Jul 2006 19:57:56 +0100 (BST),
> rwatson wrote:
>
>> Rather than continue in this "in between state", in which the uio/mbuf
>> chain sosend and soreceive are reached via the protocol switch in each
>> occurrence, I propose a change: sosend() and soreceive() will now be the
>> formal APIs for sending and receiveing on sockets within the kernel, as is
>> the case with many other so*() functions, and they will perform the
>> protocol switch dereference. The existing functions are renamed to
>> sosend_generic() and soreceive_generic(), and in most cases are never
>> referenced by protocols since our protocol domain registration already uses
>> sosend() and soreceive() as the defaults today.  The new code strikes me as
>> quite a bit more readable, and likely easier for socket consumers to use.
>>
>> Any thoughts and/or objections?
>
> Makes sense to me.  Can we document these?  That is, is there a man page in
> section 9 we could add these to?

I have plans to add a socket(9) man page, but because I'm still tearing things
up, I've deferred doing that.  I've started increasing the number of notes in
uipc_socket.c in order to document some of the things that will eventually be
in socket(9).

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge