Date:      Mon, 24 Sep 2001 15:33:28 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Andrew P. Lentvorski" <andrewl@io.com>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Disk data corruption

I was doing a fairly large cvs import and deleting another directory when
I seem to have created some strange files:

www# find . -exec grep "axbfghdgsdjf" {} \;
grep: ./ports/x11-fm/ezfm/Makefile,v: Input/output error
grep: ./ports/x11-fm/ezfm/distinfo,v: Input/output error
grep: ./ports/x11-fm/ezfm/pkg-comment,v: Input/output error
grep: ./ports/x11-fm/ezfm/pkg-descr,v: Input/output error
grep: ./ports/x11-fm/ezfm/pkg-plist,v: Input/output error
www# ls -al ./ports/x11-fm/ezfm/Makefile,v
-r--r--r--  1 root  cvs  1498 Sep 23 13:48 ./ports/x11-fm/ezfm/Makefile,v

I can delete the files.  I can recreate them (same name) and then they
work.  I just can't read them.

Is this an error in softdep?  Is it a motherboard data corruption bug?
It sure feels like one of those two.  The drive seems to be completely
okay.  (I'll remove it as an issue by adding an Escalade RAID card)
Unfortunately, this bug has been impossible to reproduce so far.

This is on a system running 4.4-RELEASE cvsup to -STABLE.  The filesystem
in question is mounted with soft dependencies.  The motherboard is an
MS-6378 Micro-ATX based on a VIA Apollo KLE133 Chipset (VT8361 NB
VT82C686A/686B South Bridge).

Anybody else seen this issue or something similar?

Thanks,
Andy L.