Date:      Wed, 13 Jan 1999 01:34:40 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <axl@iafrica.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   what was the old devstat interface's dk_wds?

Hi folks,

I'm trying to teach sysutils/xosview about the new kernel device
statistics interface so that its DiskMeter will work for CURRENT. At the
moment, it expects FreeBSD to use "the older method" for pulling device
statistics out of the kernel.

I'm getting to grips with devstat(3) and the source for iostat, but I
still need to understand how "the older method" worked, so that I can
translate what xosview wants to do into what it should do.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could help me with one of the
following:

1) A pointer to the devstat(3) manpage's predecessor.

OR

2) An explanation of the timeframe context for a comment like this one
   from STABLE's /usr/include/sys/dkstat.h:

extern long dk_wds[DK_NDRIVE];  /* # blocks of 32*16-bit words transferred */

   It's the number of 32*16-bit words transferred since when?

Thanks,
Sheldon.