Date:      Wed, 22 Apr 1998 11:20:19 -0700
From:      Don Wilde <don@partsnow.com>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   [Fwd: Freeware]

--------------9B6FC0158A52439440426D1F

I just got this in response to my 'Challenge' posted in various places. Sounds
like SPEC might be open to working with us. In looking over the solution
provided by Novell, it seems that what they did to achieve that number was to
open up massive bandwidth in hardware. I don't have any systems that have 5 PCI
slots for 100Base-T ethernet cards, and I don't have any P-][ 300Mhz chips
laying around. SCSI-3 we can do, fast-wide disks ditto. Do we have Fibre Channel
or SSC boards available to us? Is ATM stable yet?

It'd be interesting to see how close we can get to that with less hardware,
playing the same game that the other vendors do [RELEASE: FreeBSD/Apache
Achieves 75% of Novell's SPECweb96 performance with 2/3 the Processor Speed!!!].
Alternatively, presenting a real-world system would be more valuable to real
users. Comments?

 http://www.specbench.org/osg/web96/results/res98q2/web96-980322-02570.html is
the URL of the Novell results, and webmaster@specbench.org will get to them.
--