Date:      Fri, 28 Nov 2003 23:51:10 +0100
From:      Alex de Kruijff <freebsd@akruijff.dds.nl>
To:        Zhang Weiwu <weiwuzhang@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ADSL question

On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 05:23:37PM +0800, Zhang Weiwu wrote:
> Hello. I never touched ADSL before, now I booked an ADSL phone line.
>
> I have a small LAN, the server (FreeBSD 4.9 STABLE) is there as
> 192.168.0.1, providing services like NFS and it is a DHCP server. It
> also need to act as NAT for 802.11 notebooks in the room. I heard people
> say there are basically two types of ADSL modems. The either net modem
> act as a gateway for the LAN, and is more expansive; The PCI ADSL modem
> is cheaper, fitting one computer only, you need to configure NAT and so
> like on that computer for the LAN.
>
> I don't want to use the ethernet one, because I already have a
> standalone server, and I'm quite faimiliar with FreeBSD NAT & DHCP &
> router configuration, but configuring ethernet ADSL modem is new to me.
> I still need the server to connect wireless computers in the LAN, which
> ethernet ADSL modem cannot do it directly. So I think I need a PCI ADSL
> modem.

I would go with the network ethernet ADSL modum. These offer the most
security (and i don't mean that technicaly). I have my modum setup so
that it connect to my isp and build the connection but routes the packes
though to my computer. So it appairs like the modum doesn't exist. I'm
abble to do a net install this way. Also if you lost your gateway
computer then you could use you modum as a router. I would guess prices
start at 150 euro or 100 dollars.

--
Alex

Articles based on solutions that I use: