Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 2002 22:46:49 -0700
From:      Mike Benjamin <mike@rackmount.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   sendmail broken with 4.6-RELEASE upgrade

For as long as I can remember on every OS I've spawned sendmail with
"-q30m".  Basically I could send outgoing email, but it would not open a
TCP port for accepting incoming mail.  This doesn't work on FreeBSD
4.6-RELEASE.  No doubt due to the sendmail upgrade.  Ideas?  Particular
documents to point me at?

In my miniscule knowledge of sendmail, it would seem that since
/usr/libexec/sendmail/sendmail is setgid smmsp it could write to the
queue dir /var/spool/clientmqueue (which in fact it can), and then then
sm-msp-queue would send it when it checks the queue.  Unfortunately
sm-msp-queue is trying to connect to the local machine on TCP/25 instead
of sendmail's previous methods.

Jun 21 03:13:38 host sendmail[52180]: g5L3Dcfm052180: from=luser, size=3, class=0, nrcpts=1, msgid=<200206210313.g5L3Dcfm052180@host.blah.net>, relay=luser@localhost

Jun 21 03:13:39 host sendmail[52180]: g5L3Dcfm052180: to=ruser@bleh.com, ctladdr=luser (1000/1000), delay=00:00:01, xdelay=00:00:01, mailer=relay, pri=30003, relay=localhost.my.domain.  [127.0.0.1], dsn=4.0.0, stat=Deferred: Connection refused by localhost.my.domain.

Then as the queue is serviced, sm-msp-queue reports the same error.

The obvious is fix is just to run -bd -q30m and open a TCP port, but I
would like to avoid this method at all costs.  There (in theory) is no
need to listen on a TCP port to achieve my desired mail delivery
methods.

All help/pointers are appreciated.