Date:      Tue, 16 Oct 2001 13:36:32 +0100
From:      Mike Pumford <mpumford@mpc-data.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 0.00% CPU for all processes

> > One thing which surprises me, though --- all other processes are zero.
> > Is this normal?  This is my first time seeing FreeBSD run.  I have an
> > identical box here running linux (and each box runs a minimum of
> > services), where at least top will show nonzero CPU percentage in top,
> > usually around 0.5%.  Does linux have more fine-grained timing, or is
> > it cheating, or does the margin of error render this test essentially
> > meaningless anyway?

top on Linux is really slow compared to the BSD versions. It is slower
to update and always consumes a significant chunk of CPU. BSD top seems
much more efficient. Possibly down to the fact the BSD top gathers its
info with libkvm while linux top has to parse a load of files in /proc. I
suspect there may be differences in the CPU usage calculation algorithm as
well.

Mike