Date:      Thu, 5 Nov 2009 14:34:57 -0600
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
To:        Eitan Adler <eitanadlerlist@gmail.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: using svn to fetch for ports (yet again!)

--ReaqsoxgOBHFXBhH

On Thu, Nov 05, 2009 at 10:17:10PM +0200, Eitan Adler wrote:
> > I'd much rather see this used as something that reduced the amount of
> > code required for maintainers to build tarballs from SVN. ?For example
> > something similar in spirit to what I've done in devel/llvm-devel. ?That
> > means mirroring or otherwise transfering the source around is possible.
> Would a patch like the one below be what you are looking for?
> (Note that I didn't test this patch that much...)

Not quite.  What I like about overriding do-fetch is that you can do:

make -DBOOTSTRAP makesum

to both generate the tarball and generate the checksum.  You can then go
on and build the port like you would otherwise.  I also find the auto
determination of the latest revision to be very useful.

I probably would't include the scp to freefall bit.  That's excessivly
evil. :)

> > There will likely be some objections to putting maintainer functionality
> > in bsd.port.mk, but I think it would be useful enough in this case.
> > Alternativly we could formalize the process a bit and put something
> > Tools/scripts.
>=20
> While I have no trouble writing a script to perform these tasks this
> is something that I'd like to see available to end users.
> I think it would useful to allow users to do something like
> SVN_REV=3D1436 make install clean
> and thus fetch from svn and install newer/older versions.

I think the users would rather build a tarball in that case so they
don't have to download everything again when they start tweaking and
testing patches.  One option might be to set NO_CHECKSUM if the user
overrides the revision.  You'd need another switch so the maintainer can
use makesum in that case, but that should be easy enough.

-- Brooks

--ReaqsoxgOBHFXBhH

--ReaqsoxgOBHFXBhH--