Date:      Fri, 4 Oct 1996 13:50:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Wow, CVSup is cool!

After complaining about some problems I had with sup4.freebsd.org (it
repeatedly fetched large chunks of contrib even though nothing, other than
the datestamp, had changed!), I decided to try out CVSup, even though it
involves installing the 5MB Modula-3 package first.  I was _very_
impressed!  My favorite features:

1) Doesn't get confused by datestamps.  It uses checksums and the embedded
RCS version to tell if the file has changed.  This was especially a
problem with Sup when I tried to switch to an alternate sup server,
because many datestamps were different (different time zones?).  Not a
problem with CVSup.

2) When a file changes, it applies the CVS deltas directly rather than
redownloading the entire file.  This saves a tremendous amount of time,
and combined with built-in compression support, makes CVSup a godsend for
people on slow links (like my 28.8kbps modem!).

3) Compatible with my existing sup configuration.  It includes an awk
script to convert existing supfiles to CVSup format.  I thought I would
need to download the CVS Repository to take advantage of CVSup, but the
mode I used only downloaded /usr/src, exactly like sup.  If I decide to
devote disk space for the CVS repository later on, CVSup will support that
too, and with the same benefits in speed.

Anyway, kudos to John Polstra for an excellent piece of software (it even
has a nifty X11 GUI!).  The savings in time will make up for the initial
5MB Modula-3 download in your first or second usage.  EVERYONE who is
currently using SUP to get FreeBSD-current should give CVSup a try, it is
that good!

(Another happy FreeBSD customer who is right now reading the Modula-3 web
page, since I've got the compiler installed :-)

-- Jake