Date:      Mon, 13 Jan 1997 10:31:20 -0500
From:      "Matthew A. Gessner" <mgessner@aristar.com>
To:        hackers <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   2.1.5 router/gateway

Hello, all,

	I have a machine that is connected to our Ethernet LAN that I would
like to use as a machine to route packets to and from the internet via a
ppp connection using user-level ppp.  I have 2.1.5 but since lynx isn't
installed on it, it's kind of hard to get the information.

	I'd appreciate some help on how I need to set this up from scratch.

	My IP addresses would be

	ed1: 10.0.0.4
	tun0: 204.178.182.130 (going to change, though)

	What options do I need to enable?  BTW, gated doesn't install properly
from the 2.1.5 CD-ROM, for reasons I don't know, other than the fact
that there's been LOTS of problems with that one.

	I'm also going to have other network devices (I have a few serial
devices with ppp drivers that I'm using elsewhere via tun1/tun2 to allow
me to connect) and I need to be able to route packets (like DNS etc)
from those connections to my main internet connection via tun0.

	Can someone please help or point me to some good explanations?  The
book that comes with 2.1.5 doesn't help too much in this respect.

	TIA
--
Matthew Gessner, Computer Scientist, <mgessner@aristar.com>
Aristar, Inc.