Date:      Fri, 4 Jul 1997 01:52:33 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <brightmn@a-v25.rh.sunyit.edu>
To:        Mike D Tancsa <mdtancsa@sentex.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: preventing ICMP echo requests to the broadcast address

> Also, while on the topic of ipfw, does anyone know how much processor
> overhead ipfw adds to the system ?  I suppose the more rules one
> adds the worse it gets.  But does anyone have a reasonable guestimate ?

i assume very little.  because ipfw rules are very simple, if you have a
common action to take with certain packets try to put it first in the rule
list, that way not as many rules have to be checked.  figuring that IPs
are 32 bit numbers it's not a very complex formula that ipfw has to go
through...

Alfred