Date:      Tue, 28 Apr 1998 07:38:41 -0500
From:      Karl Denninger  <karl@mcs.net>
To:        dyson@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Robert Withrow <witr@rwwa.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SIGDANGER

On Mon, Apr 27, 1998 at 11:53:35PM -0500, John S. Dyson wrote:
> Robert Withrow said:
> >
> > dyson@freebsd.org said:
> > :- We do need to adopt an extended signal set, and I think that someone
> > :- else has already developed it.  SIGDANGER could be valuable.
> >
> > I've always considered this to be one of the most brain dead
> > mis features of AIX, since it invariably picks the process you
> > least want have killed, like the compiler that doing part
> > of your three-hour integration build.  Or your emacs.  Please
> > don't add this to freebsd.
> >
> When virtual memory gets low, FreeBSD will kill processes anyway :-(.
>
> --
> John                  | Never try to teach a pig to sing,
> dyson@freebsd.org     | it just makes you look stupid,
> jdyson@nc.com         | and it irritates the pig.

Well, now wait a minute..

SIGDANGER is useful if properly trapped and handled.  I'd like to see if
supported with the default to be "ignore" (ie: you have to ASK for it to
be delivered and processed).

I've used this feature on AIX to avoid kernel deadload/death conditions
in mission-critical processes.  Yes, I agree that AIX is somewhat f*fd in
the way it handles it, but the feature itself is quite nice.

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin
http://www.mcs.net/          | T1's from $600 monthly / All Lines K56Flex/DOV