Date:      Fri, 24 Dec 2004 16:41:47 -0500
From:      Brian Astill <bastill@adam.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Explore FreeBSD filesystem under Windows?

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 09:13 am, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> Ah.  A crucial bit of information that was missing from the original
> post.  Standard practice in that case is to create a partition on the
> system with a filesystem that both OSes can read and write.  Between
> Windows and FreeBSD that boils down to msdosfs, or in Windows-speak
> FAT32. (FAT12 and FAT16 are also supported, but why on earth would
> you want to use them if FAT32 works?)

Sounds fine - BUT!  M$ being M$ even different versions of Windoze
cannot read different M$ files.  eg  WinNT cannot read FAT32.  The NTFS
in XP is different from that in WinNT.  Other versions of Windoze
cannot read either of the NTFS versions.  The only "universal" is
FAT16, which limits you to 2G partitions.
So ... if your flavour of Windoze can read FAT32, a FAT32 partition is a
very good idea because all the commonly-available unices can read it as
well.
If it can't ...  the options aren't so good.  I'd think ext2 would be
the only workable alternative to FAT16, but neither is desirable.

BTW, I haven't found one, but does anyone have a way to make WinNT read
FAT32?

--
Regards,
Brian