Date:      Fri, 21 Dec 2001 20:38:23 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        sfmc68@bellatlantic.net (bad bob)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: disk drive geometry...

> just snagged a WD91F ultra scsi, 10,000 rpm but can find the geometry
> to make the disk label.  DOes anyone have any info on this beast like
> number of sectors? tracks/sector? I know it is 9.1GB, 2 platters,
> 4 heads, and gazillion (well 13,325 or so) cylinders.  Been so long
> since I have had to do a disktab, I just don't seem to be able to go
> from cyl, heads, to the needed info.
> THanks
> bob

Generally, if it is a SCSI drive you don't need to know the geometry.
In fact, it will do its own thing even if you give it geometry numbers.
All you need to know is the number of blocks.  Check on the man page
for the most recent version of disklabel (with FBSD 4.xx) and it gives
some info on how you can blast it with fdisk (and maybe dd if needed) and
come with the number of blocks.  Then, just make a whole slice with fdisk
and chop it up in to partitions to suit with disklabel (unless you want
to do something ugly like slice it up and give some to MessyWin or Linus -
even then the geometry is only what the SCSI controller makes it to be)

////jerry