Date:      Mon, 14 Oct 2002 09:03:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Thomas Quinot <thomas@cuivre.fr.eu.org>
Cc:        "Crist J. Clark" <crist.clark@attbi.com>, Trish Lynch <trish@bsdunix.net>, Adrian Wontroba <aw1@stade.co.uk>, chris scott <c.scott@uk.tiscali.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Patch #2 (Re: Ifconfig config of gif tunnels)

:Should this be committed, it should be *prominently* documented that
:there is a very significant change in the user interface: when
:mergemaster does not drop you into a more(1) prompt:
:  - in the current situation, the user is guaranteed that he's seeing
:    the complete diff on his screen;
:  - with your patch he might see only a part of that.
:So if the user wants to make is merging decision based on the diff, he
:cannot do that anymore without additional manual intervention.
:
:Plus, for those who like/are used to the current behaviour, it would be
:nice if your change could be tied to a command line switch (I don't mind
:for the new behaviour to be the default, but I think the old one should
:be left as an option.)
:
:Thomas.

    Well, I certainly agree with the prominent display.  I don't think
    a switch is appropriate, though, since the whole idea of using mergemaster
    is to make things as easy as possible for the user.

    For the very first diff it does we could add a comment "Note that this
    and all initial diffs may be truncated.  Use 'v' to view the whole diff".

    It should be noted that mergemaster already truncates diff sections
    when you use the 'm'erge command, so the truncation is not really all
    that new an idea.  I do add a "..." at the end to make it more obvious.

    Also, it should be noted that 'manual intervention' is more like putting
    your eggs in one basket or another.  The fact that you are sometimes left
    in the pager and sometimes not means that you are essentially doing
    a manual operation (i.e. you have to look at what state it is in to
    figure out what to type next), on every single diff.  By removing that
    requirement we are introducing another potential manual operation...
    a person having to type 'v' to see the whole diff, but as I am sure most
    people know there are literallly only two or three files for which
    you might need to see the entire diff.  So the tradeoff is well in the
    favor of having to do less manual intervention with these changes.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>