Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 1999 14:34:54 -0500 (EST)
From:      patrick@whetstonelogic.com
To:        dcs@newsguy.com
Cc:        luigi@info.iet.unipi.it, small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: some picobsd things

On 16 Dec, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:
> Luigi Rizzo wrote:
>>
>> while trying to revise picobsd configuration etc, i notice a
>> fair amount of space on the boot floppy is eaten by:
>> 1) the loader configuration files in /boot
>>
>> For #1, it appears that we can save gzipped versions of these files
>> on the floppy, and the loader is happy to read them without any problem
>> so i would suggest for post-3.4R the above change to the "stage1" script.
>> This saves some 15-20KB i think
>
> It seems picobsd is using rather fancy scripts with loader. I don't
> think we need them any more than we need rc/rc.conf. Take a look at
> loader.rc that Greg is using with his new PicoBSD build. It's a streamed
> down version that has just what you need (assuming you don't need to
> configure kernel/save settings).

A little background information from my research on this...

The fancy scripts were added to allow for using Forth as a way to
develop the rc/rc.conf material and to configure kernel and save
settings. It was a first step that hasn't gone any farther.  I've been
learning Forth to build upon it, but I'm not there yet.  Adding ficl
was a small price to pay for allowing us to use it in user space.

I believe the mail trail was named "Unified Configuration Interface".

Patrick