Date:      Thu, 4 Mar 1999 07:17:46 -0800
From:      Bill Swingle <unfurl@dub.net>
To:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Guess we've lost the server market too...?

On Thu, Mar 04, 1999 at 09:36:11AM -0400, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> First thing, we really really need to fix our port for KDE...I believe
> its been stated in the past that the problem isn't the KDE port, but ports
> in general, but you can't go into kde11 and type 'make install' if kde is
> already installed...ports has no way to determine that the older version
> *is* an older version, so it doesn't update things properly...

This already works. I installed kde1.1 last week on a brand new machine
like this.

> Second, all the KDE stuff should be 'centralized'...create an x11-kde
> directory...give one place to go to to build it.  Do the same for
> x11-gnome if you want...having to go searching through the ports tree
> trying to find the individual pieces is a pain.

From the description of x11/kde11:

"This package does not contain anything by itself -- it is a
"meta-port" that depends on other KDE packages.  Its sole purpose is
to require dependencies so users can install this package only and
have all the KDE stuff pulled in by the port/package dependency
mechanism."

Check out x11/gnome-99.3. It's the same way.

Just a a "heads up".

-Bill