Date:      Fri, 23 Apr 2004 16:40:42 -0400
From:      Duane Winner <duanewinner@att.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   stupid sendmail question (did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN)

Hello all:

I am getting this in my /var/log/maillog:

Apr 23 15:23:39 library sm-mta[169]: i3NJNd8g000169: localhost
[127.0.0.1] did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to MTA

when my Tomcat serlvets attempt to send an email from my web app.

I only want sendmail listing on 127.0.0.1:25, and the web app is
configured to use 127.0.0.1 as it's mail server. It works fine on my Red
Hat implementation, but I'm guessing FreeBSD sendmail is tightened up
even more.

I know that sendmail is working, because I can use the 'mail' MUA and
send myself a quick email.

I'm guessing this is a little different that just going #mail blahblah,
because I'm doing mail relaying? But why would sendmail be denying mail
relaying from itself (localhost).

Is this fairly simple to address? I know its probably stupid, but I
haven't played with sendmail in about 3 years, and never completely
understood then either.

Thanks for any info.

-Duane