Date:      Mon, 4 Oct 1999 20:59:09 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>
To:        Jukka Simila <sjuke@saunalahti.fi>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hauppauge remote

Jukka Simila:
 |>     if ( ioctl( tuner_fd, BT848_SAUDIO, &arg ) < 0 )
 |>         perror( "BT848_SAUDIO" )
 |>

 |Thanks, this helped alot. Now my remote doesn't give the white noise
 |sound. I think the next thing I'll do is I'll expand the program to
 |switch fxtv channels.. unless fxtv is about to support hauppauge ir?

I don't have one, so if some wants to add support, I'm certainly open to
it.  I'll help.  We should talk first to see what might already be
implemented.

I suspect most of it is; fxtv already supports the X-10 mouse TV remote, so
we probably just need an event translation table to take Hauppauge remote
events and translate those into key names.  For example, notice the
remoteTranslations setting in the Fxtv resource file:

    Fxtv.remoteTranslations: \
       <Remote>ChanUp   : TVSetStation( +1 )            \n\
       <Remote>ChanDn   : TVSetStation( -1 )            \n\
       <Remote>VolUp    : TVSetVolume( +1 )             \n\
       <Remote>VolDn    : TVSetVolume( -1 )             \n\
       <Remote>Mute     : TVToggleMute()                \n\
       <Remote>Disp     : TVToggleZoom( fullscreen )    \n\
       <Remote>A-B      : TVSetCaptureInput( +1 )       \n\
       <Remote>Pause    : TVToggleFreeze()              \n\
       <Remote>Rec      : TVVideoRecordStart( 240x180 ) \n\
       <Remote>Stop     : TVVideoRecordStop()           \n

I'd bet we just need some minimal code to slirp up Hauppauge remote events
(wherever they come from) and convert them to canonical key strings
(e.g. "ChanUp", "ChanDn", "VolUp", etc.).

Give it a shot! :-)

 |Anyway I like to use my remote-control to play mp3's.. isn't it wonderful
 |what laziness can make you to do.. hours of work on the desktop, just
 |because of the extra 2.5 meters you need to walk to select the next song.

Yeah, I know the feeling.  :-) It's technically un-challenging to walk the
2.5 meters, so no matter what, that's got to be the inferior option.

(Though at work we have to be more practical...)

Randall