Date:      Sat, 8 Apr 2006 15:42:27 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "dick hoogendijk" <dick@nagual.st>, "fbsdq" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, <thierry@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: BEWARE upgrading Horde System

Horde is too complex and too configurable a program to
easily fit in the FreeBSD Ports tree.  All you can do is
what I think has been done - which is set the port up to
do 90% of the heavy lifting, and depend on the person
doing the installation to finish off the configuration.
I think the horde port met this goal just fine.

It may not be politically correct to say this, but being
able to install and get Horde and IMP and the modules running
either with or without the assistance of the ports directories,
is the mark of a real system administrator.  It is, I think,
a given that this port can never meet what I feel is an
unrealistic goal of being able to do a "make install", go away
and come back and have full-blown Horde/IMP server up and
running, ready to use.  There's plenty of simpler programs
that the amateurs can do that with and have fine results.

I would point out that even the FreeBSD Release process doesn't
meet this goal.  For all the vaunted hype about being able to
type "make release" and build the entire installation CD images,
it is really a bunch of bullshit.  "make release" is just the
last command in a very long process of getting the environment
setup, and figuring out what options your going to set and
what they do.

Ted