Date:      Sat, 9 May 1998 12:06:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Dave Walton <walton@nordicdms.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sysinstall not showing all packages

On Fri, 8 May 1998, Dave Walton wrote:

> > Sysinstall checks /usr/ports/INDEX for it's list.  If that is out of date
> > then it won't show.
>

> Hrm.  Why would sysinstall look at my local /usr/ports/INDEX when I
> told it to install *packages* via *ftp*?  Besides, lynx is in there.

The descriptions aren't available by FTP, or else it'd take forever to
download each package, extract the DESCR and COMMENT files for each one.

> On the other hand, you're on the right track.  A quick check of
> ftp://ftp4.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/packages-2.2.6/INDEX shows that
> lynx is *NOT* listed in that file.  I dunno who is responsible for
> updating that file, but looks like it needs refreshing.  Wonder what
> else is missing...

It's possible that sysinstall verifies the existence of files listed in
the INDEX.  I don't use packages so I wouldn't know for sure.

> Speaking of sysinstall...  The "HTML Docs" menu item is hard-coded to
> require lynx-2.7.2 to be installed.  Is there some way to override
> that?  I already have lynx-2.8rel.2 installed.

Yeah, look on the options page.