Date:      Fri, 26 Nov 2004 15:45:59 +0000
From:      Peter Risdon <peter@circlesquared.com>
To:        DanGer <danger@wilbury.sk>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: WRITE_DMA failures on 5.3 (but NOT on 4.10)

DanGer wrote:
[...]
> i have the same issue on brand new 200gb ata maxtor hard drive. i had
> the same issue on 5.2.1, but when i upgraded to 5.3 i decided to turn on
> ata dma but after 9 days of uptime it froze..no logs, whatever...so i
> turned ata dma off for now, and i will stay and watch what will happen..

That's very helpful, thank you. The behaviour you describe - machine
freezing - is exactly what I have experienced. I'm feeling vaguely
optimistic now :-)

> but there should be some other fix, because i don't want to keep my
> disc in pio mode :/

Absolutely. But I guess, since I'm not going to try to produce a fix
myself, I can't whinge too loudly. A workaround is what I need right now
and I hope you've confirmed that this is one.

Peter.

--

the circle squared

network systems and software