Date:      Fri, 30 Aug 2002 13:21:40 -0400
From:      parv <parv_fm@nospammail.net>
To:        Beech <akbeech@anchoragerescue.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports tree stuck in the past

in message <20020830085403.24E3F6BF@nebula.anchoragerescue.org>,
wrote Beech thusly...

> On Thursday 29 August 2002 06:30 pm, parv wrote:
> > ...contents of /usr3/cvsup/sup/refuse...
> >
> > ports/INDEX  <------------------------------|
> > ports/Tools/make_index <------------------|   You need these two ports.
> > ports/x11-wm/fvwm2-devel
> > ports/japanese
> <SNIP>
>
> Take INDEX and Tools/make_index out of your refuse file. Then from
> the top level of your ports do a "make index" to restore your
> index file. After that you should be fine. Just out of curiosity
> what posessed you to remove the index and tools? You shouldn't
> remove anything in the ports tree that starts with a capitol
> letter.

downloading INDEX takes a lot of time & does not always reflects the
reality.  if we/i are/am going to create new INDEX anyway, then
what's the point in downloading INDEX?

make_index has changes which describe the non-default $PORTSDIR.  if
i remove it from the refuse file, i will have to update after every
cvsup.  i wouldn't mind removing it from refuse when "make index"
outputs real $PORTSDIR not the default '/usr/ports'.  otherwise,
"make search" doesn't work.  (i hear there's a patch coming to fix
at least "make search" in this situation.)

thing is i had these 2 files listed before in refuse & cvsup worked
as expected.  now it doesn't.  very perplexing.

  - parv