Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 1996 10:19:16 +0300 (EET DST)
From:      Andrew Stesin <stesin@gu.net>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        Ulf Zimmermann <ulf@Lamb.net>, jhs@FreeBSD.org, current@FreeBSD.org, serious@FreeBSD.org, commercial@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Licensing Software

> > Kind of a neat but dirty way is to take the CRC of the system BIOS and the VGA
> > BIOS. Problem with it is only if the card get's exchanged, etc.
>
> And now a days given that all modern motherboards have flash BIOSes a
> user is _very_ likely to change it causing this method to fail.

	'course.  Pity Intel didn't think on burning a unique CPU
	ID into each chip they made.  Even PDP11 had this.
	What can be thought to become a unique FreeBSD machine ID, anyway?

	I can think on a MD5 checksum of the following
	things together:

		CPU type;
		motherboard chipset ID (if available);
		manufacturer's ID of a primary HDD;
		primary disk controller' ID (if available);
		OS kernel version (?);
		canonical hostname.

	And it's hard for me to think about anything else in a PC
	world that one might depend upon.  PC is not a Sun. :(

		Best,

		Andrew