Date:      Tue, 16 Sep 2014 01:50:28 +0200
From:      "Dutch Ingraham" <stoa@gmx.us>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Issue With Ports vs. Packages Versioning

Greetings:

I have two desktop units both running FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE from the same
ISO.  On one, ports are updated with svn (I'll refer to it as the SVN
unit) and the other uses portsnap (the PORTSNAP unit).

I update both daily.  On Sept. 12, the update to the SVN unit borked
xorg so that if I open any x-application in my window manager (dwm),
except xterm, the server crashes with a segfault.

While trying to diagnose this issue, I switched daily use to the
PORTSNAP unit.  After a few days of fetching/updating and portmaster
telling me there were no updates, I started looking at ports versus
package versions.  Also thrown into the mix was an update to the base
system, to p9.

On the PORTSNAP unit:

root@stoa:~ # pkg version -l "<"
dri-7.6.1_5,2                      <
libGL-7.6.1_5                      <
libdrm-2.4.17_2,1                  <
xf86-video-ati-6.14.6_4            <
xf86-video-intel-2.7.1_9           <
xorg-server-1.7.7_14,1             <

but:

root@stoa:~ # portmaster -ad
===>>> Gathering distinfo list for installed ports

===>>> Starting check of installed ports for available updates

===>>> All ports are up to date

root@stoa:~ #

root@stoa:~ # freebsd-version -ku
10.0-RELEASE-p7
10.0-RELEASE-p8
root@stoa:~ #

I have the same versions and portmaster result on the SVN unit.

Googling around brought me to this[1] exchange, which reflects my
understanding that WITH_NEW_XORG was only necessary on pre-10.0
versions.

If WITH_NEW_XORG is not the issue, could someone describe what may
be the problem?  If it is the issue, is the solution as easy as
adding that to make.conf and updating?

I don't know if this is what borked the SVN unit, but I would like to
work out this issue first, then go from there. (I've already rebuilt
all xf86-  drivers and, when that failed to correct the issue,
rebuilt all 570 ports, which also failed to solve the problem, so
I'm pretty much out of ideas anyway.)

In addition, are differing patches in base correct?

Any/all help is appreciated.

[1]http://freebsd.1045724.n5.nabble.com/HEADS-UP-WITH-NEW-XORG-is-now-\
the-default-on-FreeBSD-10-and-9-stable-td5904196.html#a5904376