Date:      Tue, 02 Nov 1999 06:57:58 +0900
From:      Issei Suzuki <issei@issei.org>
To:        security@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OpenSSH patches

In mail "OpenSSH patches"
Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org> wrote:

> As has been mentioned here recently, the OpenBSD guys have taken an old
> version of SSH, from before it caught a restrictive license, cleaned it up
> (replugged the security holes, etc), and released it as OpenSSH (actually I
> think it's due to be released "officially" with OpenBSD 2.6).

   Good news :)

> I also haven't tested whether this actually WORKS, because my machine isn't
> on the 'net right now. It builds fine, though - I'd be interested to hear
> from people about how it works (it's supposedly interoperable with the "true"
> SSH 1.x client/servers).

  It works fine on my FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE box, though I have not
tested on other OS evniroment.

  Client           Server        Argorythm    Result
  OpenSSH 1.2      ssh 1.2.27    3DES         OK
  ssh 1.2.27       OpenSSH 1.2   3DES         OK
  OpenSSH 1.2      OpenSSH 1.2   3DES         OK

> If it wasn't for the US crypto restrictions we all know and love,
> I'd put the tarball up on my website.

  It does not seem that OpenSSH source code includes any kind of
crypto argorythm (they are included in OpenSSL library), but is it
still affected by US crypto restrictions?

--
Issei Suzuki