Date:      Sat, 01 Nov 2003 19:02:44 -0500
From:      T Kellers <kellers@njit.edu>
To:        Matt Edwards <matthewedwards@comcast.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, RaveBoy@Air-MaXX.net, Dirk Meyer <dirk.meyer@dinoex.sub.org>
Subject:   Re: apache mod_ssl build error

On Saturday 01 November 2003 06:40 pm, Matt Edwards wrote:
> [...]

And a big Thanks from me, too.  On just one of my servers, apache stopped
portupgrading (within the past several weeks); it hadn't really grabbed my
attention until a power failure in Newark on Wednesday made my operating
version of apache+mod-ssl unrunnable (or so I thought) and I actually had to
pkg_delete apache from the machine and then do a pkg_add -r apache+mod_ssl to
get a working version back.

The upshot of the apache blasting power failure was that it wasn't apache at
all that was the actual culprit.  When the machine rebooted and came back
online, for some odd reason, portsentry grabbed port 80 and wouldn't let go.
While apachectl startssl didn't return a command line error, the /var/log/
httpd-error logfile recorded that the port was already in use.  ps -ax |grep
http only returned grep http.  I found the problem with netstat or sockstat
(I forget now, it was a Real late night, that night), killed portsentry,
restarted apache, and restarted portsentry.  All has been well since.  Now,
though, I know what to do to properly portupgrade apache next time.

Thanks

Tim Kellers
CPE/NJIT