Date:      Sun, 26 Mar 1995 02:44:42 +0000
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@star-gate.com>
To:        "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@x.org>
Cc:        hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: httpd as part of the system.

> > several people requested a copy of mosaic-2.5 for -current:
> >
> > freefall.cdrom.com:/incoming/mosaic-2.5.tgz
> >
> > this is stock mosaic 2.5 statically linked to motif 1.2, compiled
> > on 2.0-950322-SNAP.
> >

> I don't normally intrude into other people's legal affairs, but you're
> in violation of the Motif 1.2 source license, unless you're collecting
> Motif run-time royalties and sending them to OSF.
>
> NCSA Mosaic binaries are statically linked with Motif 1.1, because the
> 1.1 source license is less restrictive than the 1.2 source license.
>
> I don't know what the realities are, whether the OSF would really sue
> you if they found out, you'll have to decide for yourself whether or
> not you're worried about it. :-)

Hmmm...
I am not a legal expert but here is what it says in the
Swim 1.2.3 for FreeBSD-1.0.2 Manual:

Page T-1:

Q: Can I link my applications statically and not worry about royalties?

A: If you link your applications with the static libraries, you are
free to distribute the resulting binary royalty free.

-------

Not sure if Sequoia  International Inc had the right to state so I recommend
contacting OSF to clarify the issue.

	Amancio